View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
2.7 Weight Reduction 
Rookie Driver

Hey Greg,

I think you'll find that the latest GCR no longer requires vehicle identification plates, so being that the chassis' are the same the 2.7 would not be restricted to only the '89 model year chassis.

R.L. Mitchell

Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Driver

Greg once all the undercoating has been removed from a late(89) chassis is there still a weight difference and if so do you know how much?

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:59 pm
Driver

cris.brady wrote:
Quote:
2. Keeps the 2.7l in the 89 MDY car that is harder to get down to weight.

Greg, I'm interested in the above comment since I'm now in the process of getting rid of weight in my 89. And I'm finding it hard. Is there some sort of diff between the 89 and earlier model years? I thought a NA tub was a NA tub.
Cris I just looked at a picture of your car and it has a full dashboard, except for the glove box, and full door trim panels. The show car must go on a diet! Oh and get rid of that heavy ABS :lol:

Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:27 pm
Rookie Driver

Hi Bill,

Those are old pics. The door panels have gone a while ago. That was probably when I was running in PCA I stock class. While the dash is still there, there's nothing behind it anymore. I'll take a look at reducing it futher.

As far as losing the ABS, what a great idea! That's probably a lot of weight right there. I never use it since I never run in the rain, so it's just dead weight. Thanks for the tip Bill! :D

#88 1989 944 NA
Tales from the Dark Side of Racing

Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

Cris to what rules set is your car prepped?
SCCA cars cannot run ABS. So an '89(the only Cup year with ABS) PCA 944 can, via Cup rules backdate, or an earlier PCA car can update to ABS, then either must still run at the correct weight for the engine.
BTW I never hit the ABS racing but faster guys than me tell me they hit it regularly in the dry.

R.L Mitchell

Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:18 am
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

Quote:
Cris to what rules set is your car prepped?

PCA Stock. I rarely feel the abs come on in the dry. A couple of years ago at a race at Summit, going over the rumble strips at turn 10 turned the system off. At that time I didn't have an abs reset switch, within 2 laps I was back to my laptimes without it. I originally learned to brake in my 73 911 RS clone which didn't have power anything, no driver aids at all. I eventually learned to brake late and hard AND not destroy my tires by locking them up. Its not a nice feeling coming into the bottom of the chute at Summit and seeing in your rear mirror about $75 worth of tire billowing behind you ;)

#88 1989 944 NA

Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:07 am
Profile WWW
Driver

Dave, Have you decided on the weight reduction for the 2.7L? Getting any 944 to 2750 shouldn't be a big deal. My car comes in at 2830 including my 270 lbs and 140 lbs of ballast.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:48 pm
Rookie Driver

Quote:
Getting any 944 to 2750 shouldn't be a big deal. My car comes in at 2830 including my 270 lbs and 140 lbs of ballast.

That's a pretty blanket statement that I beg to differ with. My 89 is at 2875 with 1/4 tank gas, 170 lb driver, and no ballast. You have an extra 240 lbs (driver + ballast) than me and you're still 45 lbs lighter. My car has gutted doors, gutted sunroof, no headlights, no interior, no a/c, etc. I'm slowly finding weight, but it's not like I'm opening the hood and discovering a 200 lb weight bolted to the underside of my hood.

89 models seem to be much heavier. Perhaps it's in the undercoating. When it comes back from the body shop I'll take a look.

#88 1989 944 NA

Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:21 am
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

I have an 89 as well minus the 2.7 L and I have been slowly tearing out unnecessary stuff as I go along. Hasn't been on the scale yet anxious to see where it is but after all your posts doesn't look good. Haven't looked under the hood for 200 lbs but did look in the mirror and saw at least 40lbs that has to go!

Dave Gibson #52
Cup Mid-Atlantic

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:20 am

Rules have been finalized with a 50 lb drop on the 2.7L Cup car

cup944@aol.com

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next