View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Non OEM Brake calipers 
Rookie Driver

Is there a chance that non OEM brake calipers can be used for all cars that currently use sliding calipers? I.E the Rennbay wilwood kit for the front and something similar for the rear? I recently discovered a stress crack in my Iron calipers (a rear). That, coupled with the fact that in order to maintain even pad wear you must keep them in tip top shape, which requires removal and disassembly, makes me wish the series would allow us to get rid of the heavy sliders.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:34 pm
Rookie Driver

It's legal under the current rules in PCA 'Prepared'
Brakes
Calipers, rotors, brake booster and master cylinders are unrestricted, except the number of master cylinders must be the same as originally equipped.

I'd say that them cracking is more likely a manufacturing issue then a common problem.

My wear has been pretty even, just make sure that your piston is aligned properly and that you replace the pins periodically. I also use a little silicone lube designed for brakes where the caliper slides. Brakes are one of the major wear components on the car, it doesn't matter what you run you still have to work on them. The cost of a rebuilt stock caliper is significantly cheaper then the aftermarket stuff.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:03 am
Rookie Driver

I run as prepared as my car came with turbo brakes which would be another option for you.

Dave Gibson #52
Cup Mid-Atlantic

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:20 pm
Rookie Driver

Ok I passed right over the prepared section and read this

8.3.5 Brakes
(c)
Brake calipers and rotors must be OEM for the model / year of the body of the vehicle (updating / backdating is not allowed).

Good to know! Will get started on my Wilwood 4 piston rear setup!

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:13 pm
Rookie Driver

944CS wrote:

Good to know! Will get started on my Wilwood 4 piston rear setup!

Might as well do the Wilwood fronts as well - since you're taking the 150 lb "prepared" weight increase anyway by doing the rears. And then the 4.11, big wheels, you name it.... :twisted:

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:24 pm
Driver

I would not run the Wilwood calipers on a dare.... most of them have no dust/debris seals and are meant to be rebuilt every other event or so. Other than the pain of changing the pads compared to a Brembo I dont really know why someone would want to install bigger brakes with a weight penalty. When I have done brake conversions I always used factory calipers from the 951, 968. C2, C4 and so forth. Lots of stopping power with O.E. reliability and service life. The best are the stock calipers from a 993 on 968 rear rotors and C2 Turbo front rotors. Greg F

Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:48 pm
Profile WWW

Advatntage of Wilwoods is u can run the more available and less expensive 15 inch wheels. Plus easier to change pads. Pads are less expensive also.

cup944@aol.com

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:48 pm
Rookie Driver

I'm not aware of any current generation wilwood 4 pistons that DON'T have dust seals...I know 10 years ago some did not

The advantage over OE Brembos is , lighter, no need to run a heavier rotor, cheaper caliper, cheaper rotor, cheaper pads and more compound choices...and ability to run 15's.

Yes I have the Wilwoods in front already and they are performing wonderfully, and the transient response improvement was noticeable.

Whats also great is that you are able to get the Wilwood 4 pistons with the correct piston sizes for a rear application.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]