View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Proposed rules for Super Cup 

Proposed rule changes to Super Cup class (aka PCA SP3) for 2011:
• Remove the 924S, 944, and all 928 from the list of eligible models.
• Replace various Prep Charts for PCA and SCCA – Combined Vehicle and Driver Minimum Weights with one chart for all models.
Certified aftermarket chip with one map setting required to be Regional or National Champion and to be eligible for tire contingency prizes. Chips for Turbo models must also have boost limiter set at prescribed settings.
• Shocks, springs, bushing materials, sway bars, all brakes components, transmission gearing, wheel spacers, wheel and tires sizes are free.
• Stock front fenders, doors, engine hood, headlamp covers can be replaced with identical parts in size and shape made of non-stock materials.

Super Cup Class Rules and Eligible Models

This Class is open to all 944S, 944S2, 951, 951S, and 968 models.

1. Allowed Modifications

To be eligible for Super Cup, the cars listed above must be prepared to factory specifications and parts with the exception of the following allowed modifications per these rules. Updating and backdating by model type in part or entirety is allowed.

2. Minimum Weight

A. Vehicle Weight: The minimum weight including driver is set forth in the charts below. This weight limit may be met by removal of the car interior, passenger seat, A/C and heating system, engine pulley belts, head lamps and related parts.
B. Additional Weight – Ballast: Any ballast to meet weight must be bolted inside of the car. Spare tire mounting bracket may not be used.

3. Tires: Any DOT approved tire is allowed. Sizes are free but must not extend beyond the fenders.

4. All Models – Listed below are the ONLY allowed Modifications to OEM parts and specifications:

Stock or aftermarket chips allowed. Exception: 944 Cup certified aftermarket chip with one map setting required to be Regional or National Champion and to be eligible for tire contingency prizes. Chips for Turbo models must also have boost limiter set at required Cup limit. All competitiors are encouraged to participate in the certified chip program.
Turbo boost maximum is 12.5 psi at any RPM.
• Adjustable camber plates, aftermarket fuel rail , and throttle cam.
• Oil pans, pan baffles, scrapers, windage trays, oil pickups, lines, and filters are unrestricted. Oil and power steering hoses may be replaced with metal braided hose. A pressure accumulator (Accusump) is permitted.
• Non-stock mirrors.
• Aftermarket rocker panels not extending more than 1” beyond OEM panels are allowed.
• Lexan windshield, quarter windows and hatch are permitted.
• Torsion bars may be removed.
• Parking brake lever, cables and associated parts may be removed.
• Shocks, springs, bushing materials, all brake components, transmission gearing, wheel spacers.
• Wheels are free but must not extend beyond the fenders.
• Front fenders, doors, engine hood, headlamp covers can be replaced with identical parts of size and shape made of non-stock materials.
• Pistons are free given that they do not exceed 1mm (0.040”) oversize of the stock nominal bore size (either 100.0mm or 104.0mm as appropriate for the vehicle) and the related compression ratio remains unchanged (S2 is 10.9:1, 944Turbo 8.0:1, and 968 is 11.0:1) and the weight of the piston assembly (Piston, pins, and clips) is no lighter than the stock piston assembly, +-4 grams tolerance for that vehicle, (710 grams for 944S2, 730 grams for 944 Turbo, and 704 grams for 968).
•Piston rings are unrestricted.
• Manifold and cylinder head port-matching is permitted; no material may be removed further than one inch in from the manifold to cylinder head mounting face. 944 Turbo connecting rods permitted for all models.
• Adjustable fuel pressure regulators.
• Any limited slip differentials (LSDs). No locked differentials.
• Sway bar sizes and configuration are free except driver-adjustable sway bars are not permitted in the cockpit.
• Any spark coil and CD unit is allowed, so long as it is not capable of changing ignition timing or offer any other performance advantage.
• Any clutch disk and pressure plate of stock diameter may be used, provided that they are bolted directly to an unmodified stock flywheel.
• Brake proportioning valves, provided they are of the in-line, pressure-limiting type.
•Aftermarket radiators, alternators and starters, but must be installed in the stock locations.
•Engine pulley belts may be removed.
•Use of a transmission fluid cooler(s) providing that it serves no other function than to cool the transmission fluid.
•Modification to, or substitution of, the shifter mechanism which reduces the range of motion.
•Any bolt-in shock tower brace.
•Front control arms may be modified or replaced with updated or aftermarket control arms providing that the mounting locations remain the same as OEM. Bump steer kits are permitted.
•Spoilers and air dams are free. Stock bumpers may be modified or replaced with non OEM material, providing that they are not relocated.
•Removal of the car interior, A/C and heating system, head lamps and related parts is allowed.
•Ducting of exterior body panels and lexan windows for additional cooling provided it does not change size and shape of factory panels.
•Rear wing with a single plane may be added. The maximum wing height is 9” below the level horizontal line at the top of the roof.
•Underdrive pulleys.

Model Yr Min. Weight (Lbs) Displacement Rear Wheel Max HP

944S All 2550 2.5L 195
944S2 All 2750 3.0L 210
951 All 2900 2.5L 223
951S All 3080 2.5L 237
968 All 2900 3.0L 223
===================================

Revisions to originally posted rules shown with Bold.

cup944@aol.com

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:07 pm

Revisions to originally posted rules shown in Bold.

cup944@aol.com

Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:55 am
Driver

Curiouser and curiouser. Now the 944Cup is going to certify chips?

Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:13 pm
Rookie Driver

I like it. How will you police the authenticity and verify the use of the certified chip in each car at each event?
Any chance we'll do certified chips in the Cup class?

http://www.ntechmotorsport.com
863 288 9660

Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:44 am

johntorg wrote:
Curiouser and curiouser. Now the 944Cup is going to certify chips?

For all the years the Super Cup class has been in existence, it has suffered from the dissatisfaction of drivers over a level playing field. Year after year we have tried to improve the rules to make the competition closer and more fair. Having more control over chips, inspecting the chip to ensure it is has one map, is just another step to address power levels of cars and most importantly vaildating the reliability of the dyno results.

The proposed rule over chips requires a driver who is serious about becoming a Cup Champion or wants to win tires being offered by the series, to participate in a program to better ensure their car is compliant with Cup rules. On the other hand, if a driver is just coming out to tool around or is an occasional racer in the series, they can bring their car out to race with us and not need to have their chip inspected and approved prior to a race.

So this is a rule that is customer friendly. It's serious when it needs to be, and relaxed when it needs to be, recognizing that we have different types of racers in the series. I think this beats all the other options I have been told about, been screamed at to use, have seen in use by other race organizations, and can actually be executed in a practical manner.

racin44 wrote:
I like it. How will you police the authenticity and verify the use of the certified chip in each car at each event?
Any chance we'll do certified chips in the Cup class?

I have grown very tired of hearing about the "switch" that is allegedly used by racers to fool the dyno. I hear this complaint mostly from our top comeptitiors. Because the dyno is our primary way to ensure cars are racing within the power limits we have set to ensure parity on the track, we need to do our best to make ensure the dyno results are creditable.

For the "switch" to be used, this would most often require a chip with multiple maps, i.e. use one map for the track and another map for the dyno. So if we require a chip with a single map, the issue of switching from one dme map to another is resolved.

Of course that means we need to ensure the chip in use has only one map. This can be done by having a designated official 944 Cup shop produce a uniguely identifiable chip for whatever map a car is using and one that can not be altered to add more maps later by the competitior. And because the stock chip has multiple maps, the rule would also apply to stock chips.

This will enable a Cup inspector to pull the dme, look at the chip, and know the chip has only one map. For the Turbo models, it will also let us know the boost limiter is set at a proper level to avoid the benefit of the use of illegal turbo parts and still allow the car to run without triggering the overboost protection at lower rpm levels.

If we are going to improve the series from a rules enforcement aspect, then all of us will need to put forth an effort to make this happen. That includes not only scrutineers, but as importantly the drivers. I would encourage all drivers to particpate in the option to use a one map chip certified as to its authenticty by a Cup rep.

And yes, this program also makes sense for the Cup class as well.

cup944@aol.com

Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:40 am
Rookie Driver

Dave, how much will the chip cost the Cup/SuperCup racer?

http://www.ntechmotorsport.com
863 288 9660

Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:34 pm
Driver

I have seen a "switch" on a 944 Turbo race car. it was removed by the owner as soon as he discovered it. Yes there are honest Turbo owner/drivers out there. I believe it somehow forced the cycling valve to allow more boost and would do so on a stock or 944Cup approved chip. I have a stock 118K mile 944 Turbo S and will install a telltale boost gauge to see how realistic the proposed boost numbers for the Turbo S are. Neither the Turbo K26/6 nor the Turbo S K26/8 turbos will hold full boost to the redline, so it will be interesting to see exactly how high they spike in the mid-range. I don't have a stock 944 Turbo so I will leave that experiment to others.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:08 pm

racin44 wrote:
Dave, how much will the chip cost the Cup/SuperCup racer?

I dont have a final price yet, but I am expecting to be able to offer the chip for free and ask for a voluntary donation of $15 to cover handing and shipping.

cup944@aol.com

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:14 pm
Rookie Driver

Everything looks really good :D

Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:33 pm
Driver

All of this looks really good to me, and it's obvious that a lot of time, research and thought went into it. I think it's a very good playing field. Having said that, and from my less informed perspective, I have three comments/questions, which may have zero validity:

1. Why do the Turbo S's get more boost? Seems to me that they are the main problem.

2. A lot of guys already have lightweight flywheels installed. Why make them retrofit the stock one? I'd like to see LW flys approved, it's a good modification. (Plus I have one on the bench that I was planning to install!).

3. The whole chip issue is a PIA to all. I've also heard that more creative guys have a complete second hidden DME box somewhere remote in the car that is actually controlling everything. The stock one is in place for inspection, but does nothing. Is that possible?

Most importantly, I like this rules package, it seems to be simpler and more clear, and I'm really looking forward to next year with it. Well done, DD.

SuperCup #57, National Champion 2011 and 2012
www.frankcelenza.com/racing.php

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:00 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next