View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
SCCA Prep 

For 2011, will are dropping the SCCA Prep terminalogy and instead refer to as "Prep 2". Will also bemaking some more meaningful changes to this classiifcation to bring into line with the SCCA cars in use in the NW where we have most if not all our SCCA Cars:

....No longer including the 2.7L engine as legal.
....No longer allowing the R and P to be free.
....Dropping minimum weight by 25 lbs.
....Must use stock dme and same rule for one map as used in other prep levels

cup944@aol.com

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:54 pm
Rookie Driver

Why are we needing to change the rules for ITS cars. I believe that it was stated somewhere in this forum that there are few ITS cars in the cup and they have not dominated any field. I feel we are already at a disadvantage.
What are the justification for these changes. If I change my car to the new rules, that will put me in the back of the pack at an SCCA event. It will force me to decide which series to run, SCCA or cup. Please reconsider!!!
Is your DME the same as the SCCA ECU?
Mark

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:36 pm

nosubt2 wrote:
Why are we needing to change the rules for ITS cars. I believe that it was stated somewhere in this forum that there are few ITS cars in the cup and they have not dominated any field. I feel we are already at a disadvantage.

What are the justification for these changes. If I change my car to the new rules, that will put me in the back of the pack at an SCCA event. It will force me to decide which series to run, SCCA or cup. Please reconsider!!!
Mark

If you read the SCCA rules you'll see that they significantly differ from the rules for the DME in our other classifications, and, in their current format, more importantly make it impossible for us to address the issues that arise with unlimited modifications to the internal workings of the dme. As with all our prep levels, we are making an effort to bring some uniformity in the engine management system. The SCCA needs to be part of that effort.

As stated, the NW Chapter has virtually all our scca prep cars and the rules changes are geared to a large extent to items not currently in use in the NW to help minimize the cost of running the scca prep car.

Where are you racing? What is it in yur car mods that will put u in the back of the pack ? Are you running a 2.7L engine? What R&P are you using?

cup944@aol.com

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:28 pm
Rookie Driver

Director wrote:
nosubt2 wrote:

Mark

If you read the SCCA rules you'll see that they significantly differ from the rules for the DME in our other classifications, and, in their current format, more importantly make it impossible for us to address the issues that arise with unlimited modifications to the internal workings of the dme. As with all our prep levels, we are making an effort to bring some uniformity in the engine management system. The SCCA needs to be part of that effort.

As stated, the NW Chapter has virtually all our scca prep cars and the rules changes are geared to a large extent to items not currently in use in the NW to help minimize the cost of running the scca prep car.

Where are you racing? What is it in yur car mods that will put u in the back of the pack ? Are you running a 2.7L engine? What R&P are you using?

I am racing in the SE. I have had this 2.5 car built to E Prod, then to SP3 lite, and finally to 944 cup.
I have gutted all the wiring not needed and, yes I run a another ECU (DME) in the original housing.
My engine is built to ITS standards. I have a 4:11 rear end.
I am the only one I know with a fully preped ITS car in the SE.
The nice part of my setup is that I dynod it to the 144 hp and torque.
I can tell you I have never pulled anyone down the straight.
When my car ran in E Prod it was very hard to get another 10 HP over the 144 with the limits SCCA imposed. ie, cam lift.
If these rule changes come to pass, I will have a car that is almost worthless to the 944 group.
I have embraced the 944 cup, but I think we are getting to where, like F1, we will be given an ECU (DME) from a pile for each race. I believe, the only way for me to comply with these rules is to start over. I do not have the funds to throw one car to the curb and start over.
I can not speak about the competition in the NW. Are these cars walking away with the 944 races?? Is that why the rule change?
You can forget all the rules on ECU if you just use a dyno. Just look for the cup cars that pull the others down the straights and ask then to produce a dyno sheet before the next race.
As the only SE SCCA racer in the SE, I do not believe the 944 cup will consider the cost I alone will incur with this rule change. I think the rules work well in the SE and should stay the same. The more cars we can get into the series the better for all
Thanks for listening to my rant.
I do appreciate all that you do for the series.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:29 am

nosubt2 wrote:
I have had this 2.5 car built to E Prod, then to SP3 lite, and finally to 944 cup.I have gutted all the wiring not needed and, yes I run a another ECU (DME) in the original housing.
My engine is built to ITS standards. I have a 4:11 rear end.
..............I can not speak about the competition in the NW. Are these cars walking away with the 944 races?? Is that why the rule change?

Certainly dont want to legislate you out of the series. So teh 2.7L engine is not issue with you, so that can be as planed to delete. We can keep in the 4.11. On the DME, I'll do for u what I jahve done for all other Cup drivers, you can keep yur SCCA DME but to be Regional or National Champion or win tires, you need to have a stock dme with a certified Cup chip.

cup944@aol.com

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:47 am
Driver

All of the cars are built to the SCCA prep here in the NW because it is the lower cost prep level, ( other than 944 Spec) and it is the way I have promoted the series here in the NW. The very front runners here are fairly competitive with the 240Z, Mazda Miata 2nd gen cars at the SCCA events we attend and none of us have a 4:11 R&P or a custom ECU. I fully recognize that the cars would simply not be competitive with a front running 2nd gen RX7 or BMW in ITS. We like the idea of the HP limit and the controlled weight of 944 Cup, and we have been working with the Director to try and keep them competitive with the PCA spec cars without increasing our build costs substantially. It will be hard to say how close they are without running them together some day, but I try to use the Spec Miata times at the events the East coast guys run to see how close our times are on average.
We have asked the Director for a weight break and a possible small HP break to help equalize the larger tires and wheels, better weight distribution, etc. of the PCA cars. We also have a couple of EP 944's out here that are in the process of being converted to run SCCA ITS spec so they will have someone to race with. I would ask that you try your car with and without the aftermarket ECU and see if it really makes that much of a difference compared to the cost. With the 144hp limit I think you can do that with a decent chip and have other 944's to race with. Greg F

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:23 pm
Profile WWW

The SCCA prep cars, now called Prep 2, will also be getting a 2 hp/tq bump up for 2011. Help compensate for the skinny tires and shock limitations.

cup944@aol.com

Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:45 pm
Rookie Driver

In reading the rules, can you guys answer a couple of questions:
1. Can you run a splitter in SCCA prep?
2.Are rear coil overs allowed if the torsion bars remain in the car?

Thanks!

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:06 pm
Rookie Driver

1) They are allowed as defined by GCR 9.1.3.8.b.
Quote:
A front spoiler/air dam is permitted. It shall not protrude
beyond the overall outline of the body when viewed from
above perpendicular to the ground, or aft of the forward most
part of the front fender opening. This body outline does not
include bumpers or bumper mounts. The spoiler/air dam shall
be mounted to the body, and may extend no higher than four
(4) inches above the horizontal centerline of the front wheel
hubs. It shall not cover the normal grille opening(s) at the front
of the car. Openings are permitted for the purposes of ducting

2) No to rear coilovers in SCCA prep. The rules say suspension must be of the 'number and type' as supplied by the factory. We run the 30mm torsion bar out back.

PacNW 944 Cup . ICSCC #1
life is participation in evolution

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:59 pm
Rookie Driver

Just as I think I may understand the always moving rules of 944 cup. I now read of SCCA Prep. I thought we had Prep 1 and prep 2 ??

Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next