View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
2011 Rules 
Driver

Dave,

Just curious about having 146Hp in in Prep 2. Why is it more than the Stock 144hp? Is the prep 2 the same as 944Spec and SP1?

Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:26 am

johntorg wrote:
Dave,

Just curious about having 146Hp in in Prep 2. Why is it more than the Stock 144hp?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=586

johntorg wrote:
Is the prep 2 the same as 944Spec and SP1?

formerly SCCA Prep

cup944@aol.com

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:00 pm

Madmax wrote:
Thanks Dave- but we're not agonizing about the tires- we'll use them up for testing and practices-not to worry. It's just that the weight bonus seemed like a great way to keep overall tire costs down and still be competitive.

Emal me and we can see what we can work out.

But really, the best way to stay competitive is to go with Hoosiers at 2600 lbs. If 2500 lbs and Toyos were the ticket, you'd see a shift taht way by the top competitiors. And the savings in tires over the course of a season is fairly minimal when amortized over the course of a season.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:02 pm
Rookie Driver

[quote]But really, the best way to stay competitive is to go with Hoosiers at 2600 lbs. If 2500 lbs and Toyos were the ticket, you'd see a shift taht way by the top competitiors. And the savings in tires over the course of a season is fairly minimal when amortized over the course of a season.[/quote)

Well- I would argue that 100 lbs is quite substantial and that the lap times from some basic testing we did at Mosport proved that using both types of tires and weight ( on & off ) were almost equal. What we don't know for sure is the life span of the Hoosiers since we have never used them on a 944- but we are fairly confident that a couple of sets of RA1's would do a season.
Hey- it's winter and miserable up here- just trying to see if anyone else is out there. Help me out Comat !

Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Madmax wrote:
Well- I would argue that 100 lbs is quite substantial and that the lap times from some basic testing we did at Mosport proved that using both types of tires and weight ( on & off ) were almost equal. What we don't know for sure is the life span of the Hoosiers since we have never used them on a 944- but we are fairly confident that a couple of sets of RA1's would do a season.
!

You would lose that argument Madmax. Matters in F1, but what we have found it's a lot less relevant in this series. Maybe its the car or may its the drivers, not sure. But, for the first few years of the series we would award the podium finishers penalty ballast uo to 125 lbs. All this in an effort to help equalize the field and make for closer racing. Well, we havent done that for awhile. Reason we dropped it was that it was alot of work for little or no gain. Just never effected the finishing positions of cars.

What does have a dramatic effect on times with these cars is the rubber on the road. How long your tires last depends alot on the driver. Have a set of practice hoosiers and a set of race tires and thats all you will need for the season. Next season then just buy a set of stickers for the season and use last yrs race tires for practice.

A set of old tired Hoosiers is typically better then a set of fresh Toyos. And if u dont believe me just checkout the tires being used at the Cup races. If there was way to go faster, like on Toyos at 2500 lbs, and for cheaper, these guys would have been doing it a long time ago.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:10 pm
Rookie Driver

Madmax wrote:
Well- I would argue that 100 lbs is quite substantial

Director wrote:
You would lose that argument Madmax. Matters in F1, but what we have found it's a lot less relevant in this series.

If that much weight makes no difference then why bother adding 150 lbs for prep 1? Make it one weight run-what-ya-brung. Super simple.

Director wrote:
But, for the first few years of the series we would award the podium finishers penalty ballast uo to 125 lbs. All this in an effort to help equalize the field and make for closer racing. Well, we havent done that for awhile. Reason we dropped it was that it was alot of work for little or no gain. Just never effected the finishing positions of cars.

From what I've been told, there were a few additional factors. Potentially large gaps in experience and/or car prep? I think most people would agree a great driver can easily make up 125lbs or 10-15hp vs a good driver. Two equivalent drivers both on new hoosiers who are 125 lbs or 10-15 lbs apart just means one slowly pulls away every lap and one finishes several seconds behind.

Director wrote:
All this in an effort to help equalize the field and make for closer racing.

Agree that was (would be) a pain when trying to keep track of and change everyone's weight every round. But if declaring your weight once per season it is no extra effort or work.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:44 pm

psheridan wrote:
If that much weight makes no difference then why bother adding 150 lbs for prep 1? Make it one weight run-what-ya-brung. Super simple.

If I thought I could get away with it Iwould.

cup944@aol.com

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:15 am
Rookie Driver

psheridan wrote:
" If that much weight makes no difference then why bother adding 150 lbs for prep 1? Make it one weight run-what-ya-brung. Super simple."

I agree with psheridan- if the 100lbs for SP1 doesn't really matter at the end of the day- then why not just leave it at that -with no tire restrictions either.
It's not easy getting these cars down to 2500lbs with driver. I think this is a conspiracy against drivers under 200lbs !
All kidding aside- we ran competively in SCCA F/V for years and if your car/driver weight was not right at the min- you were never going to compete against the front runners. Simple as that.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:05 pm

The 2011 power compliance calculator is up and running:

http://44cup.com/official/CupComplianceCalc-v12.xls

Thanks Tim Pruitt for putting this together.

cup944@aol.com

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2