View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
968 or S2 engine in NA or Turbo Chassis 
Driver

I am about to start my SuperCup race car build and would like to check on the legality of using an S2 or 968 engine in an NA or Turbo bodied 944. I know there have been S2 powered NA bodied cars running in SuperCup in the past and the real S2 body is pretty much the same as the turbo body. What about the 968 engine? I have both engines available and, if they are both legal, I could use some advice on the better choice, given the minimum weight difference.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:31 am

John:

You are correct that in the past we have allowed some mixing and matching in Super Cup even the rules did not specifically allow for the application.

With the evolution of the Cup rules into the PCA rule set along with more PCA races, so the issue we have is that mixing and matching presents a problem when such a car races in a PCA Cup race. PCA could note the discrepancy and decide to dq the car and bump the car to a GT class. The driver would have no recourse.

Having said that, I am not sure what the differences are between a S2 body and a 8V NA body and whether anyone could see the difference. Same goes for the Turbo body considering the body parts swaps we allow per the rules. The 968 on the otherhand is a completely different body style which woudl make the mix and match problematic.

cup944@aol.com

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:30 am
Driver

Dave,

The N/A bodied S2 engined car ran in SP3 at PCA events for 2 or 3 years so I don't think it would be a problem. I'll see if I can find someone at PCA to give me an opinion on the 968 engine in an NA or turbo Car. Both will work in NASA GTS1.

Thanks,

John

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:04 am

johntorg wrote:
Dave,

The N/A bodied S2 engined car ran in SP3 at PCA events for 2 or 3 years so I don't think it would be a problem. I'll see if I can find someone at PCA to give me an opinion on the 968 engine in an NA or turbo Car. Both will work in NASA GTS1.

Thanks,

John

PCA is getting much more in tune with what we are doing based on the amount of time I spent with Rules/Tech guys in writing 2011 rules. The class has grown and there are new folks in place for 2011.

Just be aware that the rules dont provide for what u are proposing and there is no quarantee you dont get DQ'ed. Plus, not an easy fix if u do get wacked on it.

cup944@aol.com

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:48 am
Rookie Driver

New to this board and sorry to revive this post if it has been answered somewhere else. I have a 944 N/A track car that I am converting to a racecar. I was toying around with an idea of converting it to a supercup class by swapping a 968 motor. Was wondering if there was any more information available since this the last post. Thanks.

D

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:33 am

Technically not permitted to turn your 944 2.5L into a 944S2.

cup944@aol.com

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:55 pm
Driver

Even if the bodies are close to similar (S2/Turbo) from what I've seen it's not an easy conversion, unless you know how to handle the whole wiring loom. That's the hardest part.

SuperCup #57, National Champion 2011 and 2012
www.frankcelenza.com/racing.php

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

I think that the PCA rules for SP3 have addressed the S2/968 engine in another chassis to some degree. If you look at the first paragraph of the PCA SP3 rules it reads as follows:

SP3 Class Rules and SP3 Eligible Models
This Class is open to all 944S, 944S2, 951, 951S, and 968’s. Eligible cars are allowed the modifications specified in these class rules
and only those modifications. Updating and backdating by model type in part or entirety is allowed; partial model conversions must
run at the higher weight of the original or converted model. Stock replacement parts may be obtained from sources other than the
manufacturer provided they are the exact equivalent of the original parts (OEM equivalent). Any modifications not specifically
allowed elsewhere in these class rules are not permitted.

If I read this correctly, the "updating & backdating by model type allows for example an S2 motor in a 944S chassis, but it has to run at the 944S2 weight. I also read this that regardless of the change you have to run at the higher weight of whichever model or parts your use. Meaning, If I ran a 944S2 and put a 944S motor in it, that is allowed, but I still have to run at the S2 higher weight.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:39 pm

jem60 wrote:
I think that the PCA rules for SP3 have addressed the S2/968 engine in another chassis to some degree. If you look at the first paragraph of the PCA SP3 rules it reads as follows:

SP3 Class Rules and SP3 Eligible Models
Updating and backdating by model type in part or entirety is allowed................

If I read this correctly, the "updating & backdating by model type allows for example an S2 motor in a 944S chassis, but it has to run at the 944S2 weight. I also read this that regardless of the change you have to run at the higher weight of whichever model or parts your use. Meaning, If I ran a 944S2 and put a 944S motor in it, that is allowed, but I still have to run at the S2 higher weight.

The key sentence is in bold. Of importance is the reference to " by model type". That is, the 944S is one model and the 944S2 is another model. A 944S2 can make any updates or backdates for the 944S2 during its production by the factory. This wouldnt allow for an engine from another model, such as 944S, to be installed and still be legal.

cup944@aol.com

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 pm
Rookie Driver

Dave, see your point if it only said the models as you bolded. However, why would they then note "partial model conversions must
run at the higher weight of the original or converted model.
" Each model in SP3 only has one weight minimum. Would seem that they meant that if you used turbo parts on an s2 body, it had to run at the turbo weight, etc.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next