View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Prep 2 Fuel Rail 
Rookie Driver

A question on the legality of the Lindsey Racing fuel rail in Prep 2. From reading the rules:

1) Prep 2 is a self-contained rule set, and explicitly states that anything not defined is not allowed
2) Prep 2 allows changes to fuel lines in 8.3.1.f
3) Prep 2 allows an adjustable fuel pressure regulator in 8.3.1.d
4) Beyond these no apparent allowance is made for the fuel rail in Prep 2 rules

Personally I believe this is a safety item. I have seen 2 cracked rails and read of numerous others. Based on the explicit fuel system allowances, stock injectors, and approved chips, the fuel rail itself offers no apparent significant performance benefit beyond OEM parts. It does provide an arguable safety improvement over a 25 year old part and a substantial savings in cost vs a new factory part at $800+.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=OEM-94411008020&catalog_description=Genuine%20Porsche%20Part%3A%20FUEL%20COLLECTING%20TUBE

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944FUELRAILBILLET.html

Is my reading incorrect? What is the legal status of this part? Thanks!

PacNW 944 Cup . ICSCC #1
life is participation in evolution

Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:03 pm
Driver

Be careful of the old Lindsey fuel rail. Lots of fires. Ask Tim Pruitt.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:13 pm
Rookie Driver

I have had a Lindsey v1 on the bench for a long time but never installed it. The new v2 has additional mounting points on the cam housing as on the stock piece.

Since it lacks the injector clips the Lindsey rail MUST be carefully and properly seated on the injectors. However I have also seen plenty of injectors with clips stay in the intake when I pulled off rails in the past. My biggest concern on the Lindsey rail now is about the mount for the stock FPR, but it seems to work.

I play that off against the pool of gas I found on the head from a cracked OEM rail a year ago after a full bore session on track. I have a full fire system but I really don't want to use it. The fuel system is certainly not something to mess with lightly.

PacNW 944 Cup . ICSCC #1

Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:25 pm
Driver

I too have had leaks on the stock rail, but it usually leaks on the intake side, which is a bit less dangerous. The old Lindsey rail spits out the injector and dumps fuel on the headers. When I used a borrowed V1 rail, I made some additional steel brackets for the top of the rail and used some snap ties in parallel to the Lindsey mounts to hold it down

Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:36 pm
Rookie Driver

Bump to the top in hopes of getting a response from Dave on legality. Thanks!

PacNW 944 Cup . ICSCC #1

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:38 pm

johntorg wrote:
Be careful of the old Lindsey fuel rail. Lots of fires. Ask Tim Pruitt.

I have the old rails on two of my cars with no issues for a couple of yrs with no problems.

schwank wrote:
Bump to the top in hopes of getting a response from Dave on legality. Thanks!

The rules currently do not permit the aftermarket rail for Prep 2, more an oversight then anything. Dont see any performance advantage of such a change. Problem stock rails is typically replacements are also used and 25 yrs old. A new stock rail is cost prohibitve.

Any thoughts from NW Director or making a mid season rule change to allow for this safety issue?

cup944@aol.com

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:14 pm
Rookie Driver

Thanks Dave... we might have a couple days until Greg posts as he is in Long Beach this weekend.

PacNW 944 Cup . ICSCC #1

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:36 am
Driver

I would have no problem allowing an alternate fuel rail provided it is retained by a minimum of 4 6mm X 1.0mm bolts or screws like the stock part. We have changed out a ton of cracked fuel rails, ( mostly late model) and it is a real concern. This also makes changing out the late style fuel lines much easier to get away from the brittle hoses right above the exhaust.
Dave, can you just issue a competition bulletin? That is how most sanctioning bodies would address a safety concern during the year. Greg F

Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:34 pm
Profile WWW

Yes, I can do that. Woudl liek to make the rule the same for all. How owuld the requirement for a minimum of 4 6mm X 1.0mm bolts effect those who have non factory rail already in the cars?

cup944@aol.com

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:01 pm
Rookie Driver

Dave,

Didn't you write that you had the old rails in your car? There are only two brackets that accept bolts on the old rails. In addition to the bolts, my old style rails are held to the intake using metal snap ties. No need for bolts. How about if the rule reads, "...affixed to the engine at a minimum of four points."

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next