View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Chips for 2011 

John at Behe Performance has located OTP chips that will work. OTP means one time programmable, these can't be altered once they've been written to.

Once the rules have been finalized and posted, we will set-up a protocol for drivers to obtain a Cup certified chip from BP. The rule will read:

Stock or aftermarket chips allowed. Exception: 944 Cup certified aftermarket chip with one map setting required to be Regional or National Champion and to be eligible for tire contingency prizes. All competitors are encouraged to participate in the certified chip program.

Also, the rules will not allow the use of the factory Coding Plug and/or Impedence Plug on the wiring harness.

And, on a related matter, we plan to require SCCA Prepped cars for the Cup class to go back to using the stock DME.

The new chip rules will apply to both Super Cup and Cup classes.

cup944@aol.com

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:23 am

ps. For those participating in the new chip certification, they will need to provide BP with a chip that can be read so the map can be transferred to a certified chip. Anyone with an encrypted chip will need to make arrangements to obtain a chip that can be read so BP can work with it.

Anyone wanting to particpate in the cert program and who has an old dme that does not allow the chip to be removed, they will need to convert or get an updated model that will allow a certified chip to be installed.

These should not be widespread problems, but may exist.

cup944@aol.com

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:39 am
Rookie Driver

24 pin, 28 pin or both?

Steve

Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:46 pm
Rookie Driver

1) What will the cost of the "Cup certified" copy be from BP?, I send one, they return 2 (orig and certified copy)?, or will they send 2 or 3 copies back as the blank chips are only $1.50, in case one is faulty and have to do the whole process over again.

2) I have a 28 pin 2.7L chip (expensive), I really dont want anything to happen to it
by installling/de-installing, shipping it etc. No guarantees from BP right?

3) If we are only shipping the chip, what will the track side certification consist of as our DME's will look the same as they do now sealed up?, if we open and close them several times the tabs will break off. I think id prefer to send the complete DME, as long as they tag whats who's and I get mine back, certified, sealed etc, ready to plug and go.

I support the idea, just need the additional logistics, liability, cost.

Thanks
Big Joe

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:53 pm

SteveR wrote:
24 pin, 28 pin or both?

Steve

whatever you have.

cup944@aol.com

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Big Joe wrote:
1) What will the cost of the "Cup certified" copy be from BP?, I send one, they return 2 (orig and certified copy)?, or will they send 2 or 3 copies back as the blank chips are only $1.50, in case one is faulty and have to do the whole process over again.

2) I have a 28 pin 2.7L chip (expensive), I really dont want anything to happen to it
by installling/de-installing, shipping it etc. No guarantees from BP right?

3) If we are only shipping the chip, what will the track side certification consist of as our DME's will look the same as they do now sealed up?, if we open and close them several times the tabs will break off. I think id prefer to send the complete DME, as long as they tag whats who's and I get mine back, certified, sealed etc, ready to plug and go.

I support the idea, just need the additional logistics, liability, cost.

Thanks
Big Joe

Even without the certifed chip program, yur dme will get opened and closed during tech inspections, so no difference there.

BP will want u to send the entire dme. But if u concerned with something happening to it, drive it over to BP yurself.

As previously reported, certified chip no cost to you, but will ask for a $15 donation to the series to handle shipping and handling. Of course yur original chip will be returned. If u want to buy extra certified chips, I am sure that can be arranged for a price.

Neither series or BP is making any money on this, so no quarantees provided other then insuring the package for shipping and repalcing a defective chip.

And the best part about the program is that if you dont like any of the answers above, you are not required to participate in the program. Your option.

cup944@aol.com

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:36 pm
Rookie Driver

Mornin Dave,

I wouldnt have minded even if BP and the series was making a few dollars, just wanted to know how much.

I might drive it over (LOL), exception: I dont know where they are.

Dont run the OTP chip you say?, I think there is some clause build into the rule to make that "option" VERY un-attractive, but yes there is an option available.

I didnt see an answer regarding broken DME tabs if open/close numerous times for tech inspect. Historically, my DME has never been opened as it fell within all required critera, only required to relocate to factory location. Can the complete DME be OTP chipped, sealed, certified by BP, and then left alone (tech inspec's) since it will have some sort of breakaway seal tape if tampered with?, perhaps others dont care either way, im just trying to preserve the factory DME case.

Thanks
Big Joe

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:08 am
Rookie Driver

I too am concerned with the DME tabs. They won't take much abuse. I'm still cringing that we opened my unmolested 924S' DME at nationals this year, though I understand the rational. I'd rather send our DME's in, have the work done, and then have them sealed. *Appropriate* and complete sealing will make life MUCH easier on a technical inspector as well.

I think this is a terrific step in the right direction.

Hey, anybody got the name of a good piggyback computer builder/wiring guru?? (Ducking for cover...)

http://www.ntechmotorsport.com
863 288 9660

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:54 pm

Big Joe wrote:
I might drive it over (LOL), exception: I dont know where they are.

I didnt see an answer regarding broken DME tabs if open/close numerous times for tech inspect. can the complete DME be OTP chipped, sealed, certified by BP, and then left alone (tech inspec's) since it will have some sort of breakaway seal tape if tampered with?

Thanks
Big Joe

BP location: goggle.

Broken tabs: have not seen this probem based on our inspections. I have asked BP about sealing dme's, awaiting a reply.

cup944@aol.com

Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:00 pm

racin44 wrote:
Hey, anybody got the name of a good piggyback computer builder/wiring guru?? (Ducking for cover...)

Behe Performance ;)

cup944@aol.com

Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next